Saturday, September 5, 2009

Un Jour, un Enfant, un bagel!

On my team at work, Fridays always start with breakfast provided by someone on the team. Because I like to stick with my normal eating schedule, I don't indulge myself in this weekly tradition. This week's breakfast was the standard assortment of bagels and donuts. I did the normal "I want a donut but I don't want one" ritual and ended up cutting 2/7 piece and eating it. (Yes I am THAT person...) I'm a big fan of asiago cheese bagels, but I decided to take the multi-grain bagel and store it for later. Work was pretty busy that day with not too much time to eat so I decided I would save the bagel for the next day. Of course the next day being Saturday and me having some time in the morning I refuse to have just a normal bagel. So I decided to create my own recipe I like to call Scrambled French Bagel.

Disclaimer time!! If someone has made this dish before and you think I'm copying you...
1. you don't know me! take a seat!
2. mine was probably waaaaaay better. sorry!!
Oh and as a second disclaimer you will soon learn that I'm a nutcase when it comes to fat-free (FF) and sugar-free(SF) items which I know isn't good... but if you have already forgot please refer to #
1 above :)

Ingredients

- one bagel (day-old stale works well)
- 1 egg (I usually use egg beaters)
- 1/8 cup half and half (FF)
- 1/8 cup almond milk (unsweetened)

- 1 tbsp vanilla pudding powder mix (SF/FF)
- 1 tbsp peanut butter powder (or real PB)

- 1 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp brown sugar (Splenda version)
- pinch of ground nutmeg

- 1/4 cup of pecan pieces

Directions
1. Cut the bagel in half, and then into 1/2 - 1 inch cubes
2. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl

3. Let the bagel soak up the mixture for 30 minutes (bagels take longer to soak than bread)
4. Heat up a skillet and fry mixture
5. Garnish with some whip cream (FF), fruit, or whatever you'd like

This was my first attempt at this and although it was a fairly safe mixture of ingredients it turned out really good! I don't like to use a lot of sugar or butter because I think it makes meals too heavy and sweet. This was a very subtle and light breakfast that is fairly simple to make at home!

Of course you cannot have Scrambled French Bagel without some french music!
I stumbled upon this song because a friend of mine was explaining Eurovision to me and how it's a music competition with mostly horrible singers that is held every year in Europe. I was interested in hearing how bad these performers are so I downloaded a list of Eurovision winners for each year starting in 1956. As I listened to the recent winners my friend was right in that you wonder how they could have possibly won a music competition. As I started going down the list and listening to older songs, they got better and better. BY FAR the best Eurovision song that I listed to was the 1969 winner from France, Frida Boccara. She sand a song called Un Jour, Un Enfant (A Day, A Child) and it's really really good! I'll post the video for it and you just have to keep in mind this is old. One thing you'll enjoy is how she flips her hair in order to emphasize the climax of the melody. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment