Saturday, September 26, 2009

Happy National Pancake Day!!

Before I start I just wanted to let all the Facebook people know that, my blog doesn't show up on Facebook very well and the videos don't post at all. So it's best to just go to the actual link to check out my blog.

http://globalfoodandmusicproject.blogspot.com/

___________________________________________________________________

So I was doing a search online for "strange holidays" and I happen to come across a small article that talked about National Pancake Day. Unlike the more popular IHOP Pancake Day, this celebration is supposedly more celebrated in your own kitchen. Who comes up with these?!? Never the less, I love a good obscure reason to make some food. I'm actually glad it is National Pancake day because this week I happen to go to a local restaurant called Amato's Cafe, which is featured on the Food Network as a good place to eat. Reading reviews, everyone mentioned the Ricotta Cheese Pancakes. I thought it sounded interesting and despite the numerous greasy Italian sandwiches that were available on the menu, I opted for these legendary pancakes. All I can say was... YUM!! It was a little different than I imagined, but basically it was two thick slabs of fluffy pancake infested with gooey blueberries and random chunks of Ricotta Cheese. Having eaten this type of flapjack phenomenon for the first time, it inspired me to try this at home. And what better day to do this than NPD!!!

I decided to be adventurous and make my own recipe. Since I never measure anything when I make things myself, I'll give you a description of what I did:

First I made the batter by taking whole wheat organic pancake mix (the cheapo version), fat free half and half, egg beater, pumpkin spice, allspice, walnuts and some sliced prunes and raspberries. While the frying pan was heating I took some fat free Ricotta Cheese, which I ALWAYS have on stock, and mixed some sugar free white chocolate pudding mix with the cheese to sweeten it and give it a more firm texture. Then I placed the batter on the fry pan and immediately put chunks of the white chocolate ricotta cheese into the batter. While this was cooking I made some homemade syrup using sugar free syrup, some more white chocolate pudding mix power and skim milk. Btw my homemade syrups are bomb! What! So after the pancake was done, I garnished it with some raspberries and prunes, poured the syrup, and voila!!


So how did it taste? While I did like the pancake I had at Amato's Cafe... I am afraid to admit I LOVED mine!! The pockets of sweet ricotta cheese with the prunes and raspberries made a perfect combination!! And the syrup gave it that extra creamy sweetness. So when with the Food Network be at my house is all I have to say!!!

HAPPY NATIONAL PANCAKE DAY EVERYONE!

DPM

No comments:

Post a Comment