Saturday, October 3, 2009

Keeping Warm Amidst a Cold Omaha Afternoon

http://globalfoodandmusicproject.blogspot.com/2009/10/keeping-warm-amidst-cold-omaha.html
________________________________________________________________________________________

As is a norm with Omaha weather, it seems as if we have migrated over to Winter skipping Fall completely. I don't even think the trees in my yard have had time to change color... As I sit in my cold house thinking of way to warm up I try a couple of things:

Go to the gym and get my body warmed up
Take a hot shower
Wear baggy oversized lounge clothes

Despite accomplishing all of the above, I think
what my body was really in need of was a warm meal! Normally for purposes of this blog, I find strange and exotic recipes to try to make. But more often than not, I have an arsenal of recipes under my belt as well. Normally I'm not a fan of salads, especially on a cold day, but I do have warm salad I like to prepare that is derived from Mediterranean style salads using cracked wheat. Not only is the salad easy to prepare, it's nutritious and FAR from being a boring salad.

INGREDIENTS
  • 1/4 cup of cracked wheat (cooked in boiling water or stock until soft)
  • 1/2 yellow squash
  • 1 medium carrot
  • 2 radishes
  • chopped cilantro
  • chopped spinach
  • ginger/garlic paste
  • ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup chick peas
Since I had my Oktoberfest meal a couple of days ago, I decided to chop some of my Weisswurst and place it in the salad. Basically I cook the yellow squash, chick peas and Weisswurst in a frying pan using the ginger/garlic paste and black pepper as seasoning. While it is cooking I chop the carrots, radishes, cilantro and spinach. Once everything is done, on a large plate I first place the cracked wheat, then the warm contents from the pan, then finally topped everything off with a mixture of my chopped veggies. This is definitely a recipe I recommend trying as it is easy to modify with your own spices and veggies of your choice. The warm moist cracked wheat mixed with the warm veggies and cold crisp veggies make a PERFECT combination. Don't believe me?? Look at this beauty! I have to hold back from stuffing my face. Like I said... FAR from boring. Enjoy!!


DPM

No comments:

Post a Comment